THE FROZEN ARK PROJECT
Saving the DNA and viable cells of the worldʼs endangered species
THE FEDERATED MODEL
The Frozen Ark Consortium comprises partners distributed across five continents with representation in the UK through universities, zoos, the Zoological Society of London (ZSL), the Royal Zoological Society of Scotland (RZSS), the National Museums Scotland (NMS) and the Natural History Museum (NHM). The consortium also includes partners from Ireland, Germany, Denmark, Norway, the USA, Colombia, South Africa, India, Vietnam, Malaysia, South Korea, Australia and New Zealand and has a direct link to the IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature) through its Conservation Genetics Specialist Group.
We aim to provide coordination and promote communication, collaboration and expertise exchange between organisations that are dedicated to collect and preserve genetic material from endangered animal species.
“By joining the Consortium, you will be part of a well-recognised worldwide network of animal biobanks.”
WHAT CAN WE OFFER TO PARTNERS?
- Advice and help with sample collection, databasing and curation;
- Advice on best practices and logistics for setting up or running an animal biobank;
- Advice on genetic material movement between countries to comply with Nagoya Protocol requirements;
- Training and in-situ visits;
- Safeguard collections that lack their own biobanks;
- Work as a secondary institution for partners’ duplicate collections;
- Facilitate communication with expert researchers and/or other partners to increase or improve collaboration;
- Access to our in-house protocols for sample collection and preservation;
- Access to the Consortium database;
- Help with fundraising activities and research grant applications;
- Representation at relevant national, regional and international conferences;
- Promotion of partner activities via our social media channels and our quarterly e-newsletters.
A QUICK GUIDE TO BECOMING A FROZEN ARK PARTNER
1. Contact our offices (email@example.com) expressing your wishes to become a partner of the Frozen Ark Project;
2. Fill and return to us the Consortium Partner Information Sheet;
3. Provide us with a high-resolution image of your logo to be displayed on our website;
4. Amend as appropriate, sign and return to us the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU).
LIST OF PARTNER ORGANISATIONS
ZOOS AND AQUARIA
The ZSL / Institute of Zoology (IoZ) is a world-renowned research centre working at the cutting edge of conservation science, organised around a number of strategically important research areas. Read More
The North of England Zoological Society is the organisation that runs Chester Zoo and our conservation campaign, Act For Wildlife. It was formed by the zoo’s founder, George Mottershead, in 1934. Read More
Twycross Zoo is a registered charity dedicated to preserving some of the most endangered species on the planet. As a charitable zoo, we reinvest all of our income in animal conservation, education and research. Read More
The Conservation Genetics Specialist Group (CGSG) is a Specialist Group of the Species Survival Commission (SSC) of IUCN. The CGSG, co-chaired by Prof Mike Bruford and Prof Gernot Segelbacher, acts as focal point for the conservation genetics community. Read More