THE FROZEN ARK PROJECT
Saving the DNA and viable cells of the worldʼs endangered species
WELCOME TO THE FROZEN ARK
The Frozen Ark Project strives towards a world where extinction rates are sustainable and not created by man. Where the beauty, splendour and practical solutions found in all species is noted and used by man for the good of mankind and for the good of all life on Earth.
To safeguard the genetic material of endangered animals for their conservation and for the benefit of future generations.
To collect, preserve and conserve tissue, gametes, viable cells, and DNA of animal species facing extinction by providing infrastructure, expertise, partnership and coordination for endangered animal biobanking.
- to facilitate and promote the conservation of tissue, cells and DNA from endangered animals;
- to provide a portal where information can be accessed on samples already stored and available and where advice on biobanking for endangered species is provided;
- to improve methods of collecting, storing, preserving and providing samples;
- to make biological material available to help combat genetic erosion in conservation programmes;
- to safeguard important genetic material for scientific research, for the advancement of knowledge and for the benefit of humankind;
- to disseminate information about the current extinction crisis, its consequences for genetic biodiversity across the planet and on how genetic management of endangered species can help their fight for survival.
DNA extractions are a large part of what we do here at the Frozen Ark! Now it's your turn! Over the Christmas break, you can extract DNA from a strawberry in your own home 🍓🧬 Follow this method and see the results for yourself (make sure you send us photos)! #ptytwittertakeover https://t.co/gGyaleg9bm
. @mafalda_b_costa got reunited this week with @AndiBeazer & @GeorginaRachelR (former FA PTY students). Andi is back @UniofBath for a Masters in Bioinformatics & Georgina is in her final undergrad year. We were pleased to find out that both are doing really well! #frozenarkfamily https://t.co/1DdvWwohxD
THE ARK IN NUMBERS
Stay updated with the latest news