THE FROZEN ARK PROJECT
Saving the DNA and viable cells of the worldʼs endangered species
WELCOME TO THE FROZEN ARK
The Frozen Ark Project strives towards a world where extinction rates are sustainable and not created by man. Where the beauty, splendour and practical solutions found in all species is noted and used by man for the good of mankind and for the good of all life on Earth.
To safeguard the genetic material of endangered animals for their conservation and for the benefit of future generations.
To collect, preserve and conserve tissue, gametes, viable cells, and DNA of animal species facing extinction by providing infrastructure, expertise, partnership and coordination for endangered animal biobanking.
- to facilitate and promote the conservation of tissue, cells and DNA from endangered animals;
- to provide a portal where information can be accessed on samples already stored and available and where advice on biobanking for endangered species is provided;
- to improve methods of collecting, storing, preserving and providing samples;
- to make biological material available to help combat genetic erosion in conservation programmes;
- to safeguard important genetic material for scientific research, for the advancement of knowledge and for the benefit of humankind;
- to disseminate information about the current extinction crisis, its consequences for genetic biodiversity across the planet and on how genetic management of endangered species can help their fight for survival.
The Siamang gibbon is another #FrozenArkSpecies in our Nottingham biobank. Unlike other gibbon species Siamangs have opposable big thumbs, allowing them to carry items both in their feet and hands helping them move through trees.
@UniofNottingham @MolEcolCU https://t.co/5q80VU1xDd
It's #WhoopingCraneDay today and we want to celebrate these birds and their recovery from the edge of extinction. Through careful conservation efforts their population has started to recover in the last few decades.
Find out more about them here: https://t.co/AQDH2GBlml https://t.co/0wTMXE9Dyi
THE ARK IN NUMBERS