THE FROZEN ARK PROJECT
Saving the DNA and viable cells of the worldʼs endangered species
WELCOME TO THE FROZEN ARK
The Frozen Ark Project strives towards a world where extinction rates are sustainable and not created by man. Where the beauty, splendour and practical solutions found in all species is noted and used by man for the good of mankind and for the good of all life on Earth.
To safeguard the genetic material of endangered animals for their conservation and for the benefit of future generations.
To collect, preserve and conserve tissue, gametes, viable cells, and DNA of animal species facing extinction by providing infrastructure, expertise, partnership and coordination for endangered animal biobanking.
- to facilitate and promote the conservation of tissue, cells and DNA from endangered animals;
- to provide a portal where information can be accessed on samples already stored and available and where advice on biobanking for endangered species is provided;
- to improve methods of collecting, storing, preserving and providing samples;
- to make biological material available to help combat genetic erosion in conservation programmes;
- to safeguard important genetic material for scientific research, for the advancement of knowledge and for the benefit of humankind;
- to disseminate information about the current extinction crisis, its consequences for genetic biodiversity across the planet and on how genetic management of endangered species can help their fight for survival.
We were very happy to be reunited with @AndiBeazer today. Andi was one of our Professional Training Year students last year and for his research project he looked at the impact of #preservation techniques on the quality/integrity of #DNA. @MolEcolCU @CUBiosciences #studentscience https://t.co/KAZi5a5orA
Mountain Hares are Britain's only native species of hare. They are mainly found in the snowy Scottish uplands however efforts have been made to bring them back in Northern England and a small number can be found in the Peak District. #wildlifewednesday https://t.co/EbNihBCRtA
THE ARK IN NUMBERS
Stay updated with the latest news